Intro: The first time I really verbally tried to explain my belief in God, which is in the opinion of others, a totally weird thing, was as burdensome but rewarding as climbing up a mountain. The second time I really tried to explain my beliefs, I was literally climbing a mountain with good friends. This time, I went further with my explanation, mostly because they pushed on my beliefs instead of dismissing them as awkward and put up with a back and forth dialogue. It was even more rewarding. So, while I won’t make this my life’s work, I want to reflect from time to time on my beliefs, because admittedly they are different, even if the difference is that I’ve taken some contrived and or scenic route to reach my conclusions.
So theoretical physicists will likely suggest that parallel universes exist. That multiple universes exist. Imagine the culmination of all physical particles that make up yourself, the world around you, the past and present and future experiences that will effect you. These could be the exact same, you could be the exact same in another place. Or could you. I mean, you wouldn't point to this replicate idea and "that's me" in any more significant a way than that appears to be me. Point being, is that you are unique. There is something, unreproducible about you according to your understanding. And what I mean by understanding is not that a person may develop an understanding, or evolve past this understanding. To be human, to have a self, and all ideas of perspective and connection etc have been derived from this foundational notion of "I am" (I'm sill not sure about the I think part).
This is God. Let me elaborate (and while I do, imagine fractals) and forgive the spiritual juxtapositions. I think that no religion is perfect, no description is accurate, and yet the attempting is perfect. Because God is infinite, and beyond our understanding or comprehension. Deep deep down in your search for knowledge, in the fractal, as you keep going with no end is something and absolutely nothing at the same time. Like the concept of infinity in math it is indescribable, and yet we have managed to describe it as infinity and say what is is for our utilization, and we have also applied it, and drawn addition concepts from it. But it is what we'll never get to, never know, and so for the uncreatively pragmatic (a group which encompasses many, but not all atheists by manner in which they reach their conclusion), God is not real! And in the confines of the way they may think about God, I see their point, but if I thinking outside of their boxes, they surely must see the smallness of their thinking and can then be only irrational atheists (not that there is anything wrong with that-but it is probably less honorable.)
Implications: Religion has no weight in society, in government, and really, no place outside of its right to exist as individual spirituality and exploration which may come to organize. Our morals, I would argue, have come from beyond religion. Of course, you cannot deny millenia of influence on society and gene, but we could have these rights now without religion either way. It is tricky whether or not we could say we would have these without God. Because God is most likely that infinite concept deep within each of us which gives respect.
Now expand this hypothetical even further. You have considered yourself in the parallel universe and meeting your equivalent. Now consider meeting someone close to you in the other universe, as if you have made a seamless transition and exchange with your equivalent. Are you able to come to the same conclusions about them as you are for you? Would you be able to tell that this isn’t your unique best friend? Isn’t your spouse? Isn’t your mother? It is doubtful.
Implication: If you believe in soul mates, and I have described the unique spot in each of us, which might be described as the soul, you should answer that yes you could tell the difference if of course the person you imagined in the parallel universe, you also imagine as your soul mate. I would think, that soul mates as understood in this deep a sense, are not real and that your soul is at its root, that God concept of sorts that we all inherently have, and that thus is indistinguishable from another’s. This does not contradict what I have said before, that essentially each soul is unique, because it is, in itself, but is non-unique outside itself, just like the answer to this hypothetical.
Now what if you knew that you had just been transferred to the parallel universe, by exchange with your counterpart there? Now would you say the loved ones you run into are the same? This is more difficult to answer. (Try not to imagine/distinguish this like in Inception). I think you would say that that person is not the real person, and yet, there would be no evidence to support this. You would just know. Moreover, the others here would not distinguish you from your previous equivalent. If you accepted the rules of the multiverse, you would understand that nothing different would happened here, your free will, your pleasure, your interactions, nothing would change. So why not just live with it? There is no reason I can think of other than the eerie feeling associated with your genuine displacement from your home universe/reality. There is something recognizable about your reality then, is there not? Something unique about your reality, much as there is something unique about you.
So this is where my mind goes from here: as thinking goes, we distinguish the external from the internal. (Yes there are grey areas which I will not attempt to make clear like the body, but that immaterial for this thought experiment.) What is the relationship between your unique external and your unique internal? If they are different, then how? If they are the same, how can we reconcile my intuitive presentation of external vs. internal.
If they are different, then how? Is it space? Weird. Imagine this. In the seamless exchange scenario, you would never know the difference. So these two different universes, which occupy different spaces, now seem non-unique even though one has been suggested as unique to you, and another is foreign. My point here is that the difference between the internal and the external unique cannot be space based because you can be tricked into thinking the unique and non-unique external are the same. Your internal relation to the external, your feeling, is the same even though they are two, or millions of separate spaces. If the relation of A to B is space, and the relation of A to “B” is a “space”, this is clearly not the genuine relation of A to B. (At least not coming from an internal understanding. It is kind of unfair to talk about this from an omniscient birds-eye view, and then switch perspectives to an internal looking out view)
Is there a difference? I initially I say no. The same uniqueness inside of us, our infinite depth (God), our soul of sorts, is the same as everything on the outside. Not like some holy spirit permeating everything, but as simply a representation of the infinite!!!!! Look, we cannot reach our internal depth. We can only speak of it like a curious child pointing to something in the park. This is a common bond to the “external.” It is external, which signifies to us that it is separate and on some level unreachable. Don’t think superficially about communication or physical contact. You just can’t get there.
Now I think of genuine connections. When I think of God, I start to get a physical feeling deep in my heart. Have you even looked into someone else’s eyes, like when you’re in love, or just a friendly moment of understanding, and felt the same spot? Have you looked upon a suffering stranger and felt the same on occasion? Maybe at certain moments, we cease to exist enough to feel this infinitude exist.
So God kind of exists. Not like bam exists, but its also more than me just saying God exists because humans created the concept. I think I recognize a difference in my mind for what types of God I believe in. Often when I talk about an active God, like when I reflect on cheesy versions of Karma, I start saying He. Then I get pressed about my beliefs in heaven, Jesus, etc. Well, I grew up with some of this. But I also grew up very secular, with a different approach and I don’t know, but detect a difference in my thinking between the “He” God, which is based off outside impressions, and this weird infinity I’m talking about.
Feel free to think about this and respond. Point of interest, this sounds like I am high. I am not, and that was not the facilitation for such an oddly explained reflection. This is late night tired talk at most.
No comments:
Post a Comment