Monday, March 21, 2011

One hell of a Week

Sorry the blogs have been less frequent, but I really didn’t sleep much for about eight days since caving led straight into St. Patrick’s Week. And that’s what it was, St. Patrick’s Week. I did my part to get green and crazy 4 out of 7 nights and would’ve gone for more, maybe, but unfortunately/luckily I got a pretty bad cold and a super sore throat. So this weekend I kicked it, studied (which means I watched March Madness), and rested. Here’s some tidbits from the Week.

Overall St. Paddy’s Eve was the night to remember, just so much happening and such an impressively good time, but St. Patrick’s Day was a great party in itself, and Friday was a nice night as well.

The club was poppin! The line was a quarter mile long everywhere, so we stuck with what we knew was good, the Purdy Kitchen, which has great drinks deals if you get on the cheaplist, which we’ve done by being regular attending students. We actually didn’t have to wait in line too long either. They cleared everyone out and said it was too full (there are like 5 floors at this place). Well, we stuck around and sure enough they started letting people in soon. By the time it was last call, I’d found my way into a really offbeat jig and group dance of sorts probably to Rihanna or Chris Brown. Lotta fun though. Then this Irish girl who was on another level mentally, just started getting thrown around to dudes. Literally like, hey catch, and then she wanted to be swung around. I was just praying that I wouldn’t be the one she puked on. Good times though, and great scene.

We got out after the club and wandered around Dublin for a few hours. Saw some fights, but had lots of fun. I thought we were going to be in a fight for a second. We had helped build a human pyramid with like 10 spanish guys so we could cut down this huge thing of balloons, green, white, and orange, 5 feet in diameter, like 30 yards long. Probably illegal. Anyway, once we got it down this tiny little Irish dude comes up beer in hand swinging and kicking like a mad man claiming we’ve stolen the Irish flag and drawing a lot of attention. It was half hilarious, but half, “OMG what if this whole place jumps us.” Eventually this little dude gets close enough and grabs the balloons and runs off down the street. He was still sprinting trailing the balloons a half mile down, knocking people over as he went. The devil.

My friend’s friend who’d come over started hitting on a large, much older lady and begging for a couch to sleep on (how ungrateful). Shelby and I heard from like 20 yards away a burst of laughter and in a lovely Irish accent, “if we were to fornicate, I’d break you!” How epicly gross is that!

Finally made it back at 5am, no after party, and we had to wake up at 7am for O’kegs and McEggs (a little American irish pregame). And we did, we woke up and starting going again. Decided to go down to the parade about 10am. I’ve never seen so many people in the same green hat. Whoever makes those crappy felt leprechaun hats made a fortune. It was awesome to see streets crowded as far as the eye could see with bobbing green hats. Anyway, after stumbling around trying to get a good look at the parade I wandered off to find my IES group at the bridge to go to Croke park. Well, I really had no idea what meet at the bridge meant. Which side, on the bridge? And I got there late anyway because of the crowds so I just had to trek over to Croke Park alone, and that was worth it. Saw some interesting people.

Oh, Croke Park had the GAA championships for Ireland, so there were some really devoted hometown crowds there for the hurling and Gaeilic football. That was awesome, though I got ripped off on the ticket price. That was a cool way to sober up in the afternoon. When it was all over, I went back to make dinner for the guests before they got back.

We got back and all had a nice dinner. Some more girls got in who were staying with me, which made 9 people staying in my small space including myself, 3 I hadn’t even met before. But they got in later than they were supposed to, and one of the girls took forever to get ready, like 2 hours, so she held us up til half eleven, and I really wanted to be down for the evening because I heard those are some magic hours in Dublin. Humph! We still had fun in my apartment, but nothing special, and by the time we got downtown, one of my friends was puking in a burger king bag, so I had to take her back since I knew my way and had the only key. That was the night. And it’s unfortunate, because then the rest weren’t quite sure what to do, so the guys having had fun the night before, went back to the same place and took the girls, but Wednesday is the good night there, so they should’ve gone elsewhere. Well, I did get to sleep on my bed, though with a damp towel for a cover. I was tired though, so it worked.

The girls all manned up and made their flights early the next morning. I slept in and let the guys loose on Dublin. They found some cool museums I’m going to have to visit. I met up with them in the afternoon and we all just explored some more. I realized how little of Dublin I’ve actually explored on foot, but I’m saving it for May when I have more free time and better weather. We came back and went to a Pub I hadn’t been to yet down the street. Man, that place is way cool, and the townies are legit. Nice, and fun. Niamh and Sheila, the girls who helped us out when we visited Kenmare were in Dublin for the night seeing Enrique Iglesias so they came and met up with us and we all had another good night, though I accidently passed out on a pillow which had puke on the backside from the night before, so throughout the night as I tossed and turned…yah. Gross. Probably contributed to getting sick. Had to pass up trips to Howth and Blarney Castle this weekend. Oh well, still time.

Ireland lived up to the hype you would think would come with St. Patrick’s Day. I feel better now.

I think this place is about to get super green super quick, and I am excited for what’s to come. First soccer tournament this week, and because I held out and they need people on Friday, my stay and transportation is covered. Then down to Will’s christening. I’m studying all week and taking it easy because I have a big test on Monday, but I’m pretty prepared, so I’m not stressin, but then again, I’m not sure what to expect either. After that, just a few days of school, and then the Canary Islands!!!!!!! April will get filled somehow, hopefully I’ll make it to Spain. But when classes end April 29th I am leaving for Scotland, then England, for a week. Then skipping a week ahead, I’m going to Switzerland (with some Australian ladies, oooo lala) to explore and while I’m there I’m going bungie jumping. But seriously, this jump is the one from Goldeneye and one of the biggest in the world off Verzasca Dam. 220m/750ft. Let’s Go!!!!!!!!!!.Also, capming gear is super cheap right because of the recession and the season ending. Picked up a sweet hiking bag, huge, lifetime warranty, for 30euro, 70% off, so I’m more prepared for the summer.

Also, David Fox, my fraternity brother, old roommate, teammate, and partner in crime in Europe is sharing a few columns with me in our school paper this week.

No comments: