I had my first soccer tournament today (yes, all in one day because I could only make it to one game). Well, let me tell you, they do things a little different here. Really adds to the definition of pregaming. Last night I got in, and coach quickly took me to a club at a party resort town for U. Ulster kids. Met all the lads, great stuff. We all know we have a game in the morning. I’m thinking, a few drinks won’t hurt, might help me sleep. Well, I get there and they are all obliterated. One of them didn’t even make it in the club, got kicked out by the coat check lady, passed out in the pub upstairs, a bouncer changed him and sent him on his way(he played Keeper today). These guys weren’t messing around. Shot, shot, shot, shot………..Thank God the captain was sober enough to make us drink water. And to be fair, the lads from Cork, who we would play, were out drinking as well, though not nearly as heavily. Pretty cool to friend up with the other team.
So guess where they put me for this game the next morning? Center Mid. Can’t think of the last time I played in there. My god. And one sub, which was used for another person when they got injured. Well, I got a goal, played great, but by the end I was dead and cramping, so when we went into overtime, it’s no wonder we ended up losing. It felt good to be back in a leadership type of position. I almost had one other goal. Missed a brilliant lefty by an inch.
Negatives include a swollen face and bloody nose from a bad elbow, and a really injured foot from a tackle. Walking sucks.
But, I have decided that this is the way soccer should be. This is ideal soccer. I love Irish soccer. And these guys were absolutely hilarious.
Also want to say, I’m an idiot for not bring warm relaxing or warm up pants of any sort. And I am a genius for not bringing an Ipod. I would miss out on so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment