Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Squeakin by is more than enough

Last Friday I went to my first Rugby match, Home Leinster vs the Scarlets. Maybe I built it up in my head too much, but this was a disappointment. I expected drunk angry singing Irish fans and constant brutish play. What actually went down was much more like Golf in terms of civility and etiquette. I understand why no one was drinking. If you think NFL games are bad. Whoa. Also, a very kid friendly atmosphere, with little kids playing at half time. Anyway, discovered a great little pub afterwards, and walked the long way through the city, so got to see some new parts. I like getting lost. But I was ready to get home to bed because...

I randomly went to Belfast with friends. Good call.

Belfast was the BOMB. I was skeptical to say the least about this trip. Wasn’t sure why we were going, didn’t know what we’d do, but I always seem to have fun, and when else will I go to Belfast? Well, I wish I’d gone both nights because apparently Friday was just as good as Saturday, and Saturday was awesome!

Saturday morning, I woke up at 6:00am and hit the road in hopes of catching everyone before the day started. Bused my way to Belfast by 10:30. Called to say what’s up, and we all headed north to the Giant’s Causeway. We got up there for the early afternoon, and the weather was wonderful. We all recovered in The Nook, a little restaurant nearby, and started the hike. I’m finding a trend in my reactions to Irish landscapes: Whoa, elevates to Oh man, to Oh Wow!, to Oh my God this is incredible, to unfreaking believable, and the crescendo of amazement ends in silence and bright eyes staring off into the North Atlantic over a cliff. Please check out the photos-amazing geology. So the Cliffs of Moher are better? We shall see. Great afternoon walk finishing in the sunset. There was something most excellent about looking off north into nothingness. The sky was just different, and the sun continues to be uniquely mysterious and impressive. Highlights included the view of the amphitheater (which was closed off-but we dared), the actual causeway (Basalt columns-which I’m pretty sure I saw when Dad took us out west), and the view from the top of the cliff. Looking into Ireland there are pleasant looking sheep, fields, and villages. Turning around is a massive drop down to crashing blue waves, alien looking rock, and the unknown.

Oh, here’s the background-Legend has it that the Irish warrior Finn McCool built the causeway to walk to Scotland to fight his Scottish counterpart Benandonner. However, Fionn fell asleep before he got to Scotland, and when did not arrive, the much larger Benandonner crossed the bridge looking for him. To protect him, Fionn’s wife Oonagh laid a blanket over him so he could pretend that he was actually their baby son. When Benandonner saw the size of the 'infant', he assumed the father, Fionn, must be a massive giant, so he fled home in terror, ripping up the Causeway in case he was followed by Fionn.

Well, we made it back, and the night just took off from there. We did it big, real big, and went nuts almost til the sun rose, when we hit the chipper.

I can make a recommendation for touring Belfast nightlife. Friday go to the Queen’s University Union. Saturday go to Lavry’s in the city center, Sunday, maybe try Mynt.
Overall Belfast’s people are nicer than Dublin’s. But they can have a real mean streak to them. Three times we got intense with other dudes, and one of those times was real close. Also, on the bus tour, we had many more people wave and say hello with smiles. But there were also plenty of meaner looking people, and I guess the traditional Belfast hello must be two birds. The city is extremely interesting in that respect. Really, the tour of the town took us through rough parts but mostly really industrial looking middle class areas. The city had a real blue collar feel to it that just earns your respect. I felt admiration for the city’s people and its contribution over the years. A real powerhouse of the industrial revolution and wartimes.

Took a bus tour, and for £10 this has to be the best cheapest way to get a grip on the city. Good hour and a half of sites and history. Recommend that as one of the first things to do, Belfast is a big city and it's not all in the center.

This week I’ve been figuring out financial issues, trying to budget, and mostly fighting with two banks. I thought I had everything figured out before I got over here. I certainly did not. One, I simply forgot to bring a check book even though it was on the list to bring. This would have solved everything, even though the banks assured me I could do it all online for free. It has been a real pain in the butt this week.

Luckily, on Monday I managed to eat free all day. Free pancakes, the free pizza, then at night Guinness came to visit DCU. I came away from there with 5 free pints down, 2 meat pies down, a 30 minute conversation with the Worldwide MasterBrewer, and a ridiculously fun time with live traditional music, and lessons on pouring and drinking Guinness. DCU did a terrible job advertising for this. I almost didn’t go, and not many students did, hence I think one free pint turned into five. But I’m glad I did. Also got a free sick poster and a couple of Guinness glass glasses, though I’m not sure they meant to give those away.

Tuesday I got more free stuff. Free tickets to see the Godfather at the Irish Film institute downtown. They had a guy speak about the movie before it started. Had no idea the movie was so long, but hey, definitely one of a kind classic.

So today, Wednesday, I had to finally go find some food. Went to Tesco, used the credit card (FAIL), and stocked up. It’s a 15 minute walk, especially when you are burdened by 5 big bags of stuff (I went to Penney’s to get extra bedding for incoming guests). Whew, treated myself to cheap chicken wings. Good to go.

No comments: