Today was so chill. I am very pleased to see that everyone is starting to get comfortable enough with one another to be honest and say, I never party this much, it’s getting old. I have done well so far. Not too much over budget, and of course, I have found enough ways to be thrifty now that it should only get easier from here. Tonight we had a big crew dinner with everyone contributing different dishes and it’s the first time in a while we’ve pigged out. Also we’ve got leftovers now. It was so awesome to just chill to John Mayer afterwards (though Sini, the Finnish soft spoken sweetheart disliked it because she is a devil metal head-of all the people). And this week should be a little less crazy because there is a big trip this weekend to Kenmare (SW coast of Ireland) for me, Preston, and Sean.
Before I forget, just a few notes to myself and others trying to be thrifty in Dublin….
One, you do not actually have to pay the full bus fee. Just throw some coins in there. I’ll let you know if you can do American coins.
Two, when you’re downtown, you are going to have to pee on the walk back to the buses. But to do that, you will have to purchase something from the store. Don’t be afraid to ask for a slice of cheese for €0.20. It’s going to save you a lot of money over your stay.
Three, talk to Irish people, because they want tp make friends with you, and they have so much to give. For example, the trip this weekend is to Waterford and the ring of Kerry. The girls hooked it up with cheaper bus tickets, free stay at the B&B one of their parents owns, and they’re going to drive us around. So Friday we go and explore on our own, Saturday is ring of Kerry and whatever they want to do, and Sunday is like some traditional Irish festival. THIS is what we came here for, and it’ll be on the cheap.
Fourth, pay as you go cell plan for sure. I suggest Meteor, but O2 is good too. And you don’t need to do the €20 a month top up. It sounds good because you get unlimited free text, but you can make it through a month for less because meteor is always giving away €5 bonuses for taking surveys and most of all, everyone is on facebook chat. Really the only time you’ll use your phone is when you’re drunk and on the town.
Finally, and I got this tip from Jordan Cole (thanks), make friends with the small grocers. It’s all about being personable because they WILL hook you up. It’s way cheaper than TESCO. So tonight we had our crew feast where everyone contributes some food. Well, we got some dank chicken wings, like 30 AND 4 big legs AND 4big breasts in a combo all for €5 because Patty the butcher was trying to get rid of it and has to compete with TESCO next door. So sweet, leftovers and it fed the whole group. And my little €2 shortcake, whipped cream that didn’t whip and canned peaches dessert was sweet too.
So these are good things. Now, what’s bothering me. There is a dog in the house 20 yards from my room that barks on and off 24/7. I’m going to kill him. And the gulls are annoying in the morning too. But most of all, the roommates wake up at 7 everyday and make obnoxiously loud breakfast.
Oh well, I’m so excited for Kenmare this weekend. First real trip. Horseback riding, biking, hiking, nature, beaches, sunset. Hyoooo!
No comments:
Post a Comment