Alright, after eating almost exclusively cereal and other crud and wasting money I have now gone shopping and I now think I really can eat well and under budget. Luke, one of my room mates is quite the cook, and he's on a diet, so I'm not exactly coming up with these cooking options on my own, but so what, it's going to do me well.
I've just been meeting people and trying to hang out, which is difficult while my phone isn't functioning. Like last night the guys waited on me and just left. I had no idea. Luckily, my room mates and the other interns were having a fun night back here, which was good, because the weather stunk last night.
It has been uncommonly windy. Like its got to be 25mph steady with big gusts surely topping 40. And the general Irish sprinkles all day. I do not mind the moisture a bit. Its great. The wind was a problem though.
Went to the sports facilities and joined the soccer club. I think I've got a 5v5 team already and the facilities are incredible. Also, there is a neato wristband that you just flash at sensors to go places, use lockers, etc that is unique to you. Very cool. An American company would do well to sell systems like this.
Classes are not yet sorted out. I cannot take my nano courses unfortunately because they are reserved for postgrads first and they filled. Everything else should be in good order. I am taking a really big culture class called perspectives on culture and its sounds fascinating and ways better than Pluralism. It's the equivalent of a 6 hour course.
So far I've been very here and there. I am one of the only people who came here alone, which I did not foresee at all. But hey, I remember D-Rab, Kyle, Talbot and Klose telling me that's the way to go, and they will be proven right i think. I am really hanging out with four different groups right now, which seems to make me unique, and I think will pay off, as I can kind of introduce people from these groups. there are the IES kids, mostly girls, the interns(and room mates) mostly girls, my "bros" group-just good sporting dudes, and the West Virginia people. All good types, almost exclusively from the North East. Hopefully my phone will get unlocked today.
I feel good and I am much more comfortable now. I think this is because I've been a bit of a loner moving between groups, which has meant I'm figuring most things out by myself, and making my own mistakes. I already feel like I'm a bit more on top of things than some others, which is not at all how I felt a few days ago. I haven't been dependent at all. I think this has turned some people off a little since I'm not being a team player up to their standards, but everyone is still smiles at this point. I haven't had a big night out yet, but I've had some big days, and tonight that's the plan if the weather clears up a little, and tomorrow, NO MATTER WHAT, we are all going to a bar to watch some EPL, get hammered, then see the Super Bowl.
I think DCU is the college experience I have always wanted, not that I don't miss home and Jewell really bad some times. It's bigger, more independent, and there's so much new stuff around. I'm going to go try to find some beers I hid in a bush last night for some stupid reason.
Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment