Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Afternoon educational activities.

Thanks to Joe and Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Piran
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornwall

I had thought that other than Irish I was Welsh and German. Well, I’ve been informed it’s Cornish and German. Close though. So here here is a small world-history lesson for the day.

St. Piran is the patron saint of Cornwall. He came from Ireland and is probably the same guy as the Irish saint Ciaran of Saighir who founded the monastery in County Offaly, IE (where my dad’s side of the family currently lives-Tullamore) and is one of the 12 apostles of Ireland for helping St. Patrick out. Piran in Cornish was Ciaran in Gailic. March 5th is the feast day to celebrate him in Cornwall.

Black white and gold are the colors. He is the patron saint of tin makers, and important Cornish trade.

St. Michael’s Mount is a sweet Cornish site meaning the grey rock in the wood. It was where lots of prominent Nazis wanted to retire after conquering England. It is a tidal island, suspected of being a major tin trading port in ancient times, as mentioned by the Greek Posidonius. It is a counterpart of Mont Saint Michel in France, and that place looks sweet and will be visited in June. I might see if I can make it to Cornwall since I’m here.

Anyway, learned plenty about all the Celtic stomping grounds on the Atlantic coasts. I can afford to do this because I'm done with my first big culture project. Back to IPE.
Tomorrow is the IES leaving dinner downtown at a nice place. Excited about that!

Cheers!

No comments: