Monday, April 25, 2011

Family Time

Well, catching the bus worked out this time. Barely got the 41, the 41 was quick, went to the wrong street downtown, called the Bus service(Kearns is great), sprinted a long ways to get there one minute late, bus still there, boomtown. Good start boys.

I arrived to a very fun Good Friday party in Barbara’s back yard. So much tasty food. Full buffet of meats, veg, sweets. Stuffed. The backyard was beautiful though, like out of a children’s book, if I’d imagined a spring party that’s what it would’ve looked like. Everyone seemed in a good mood as well. The evening found us out playing horseshoes (which I got decent at-shoot, I held my own against Cliddy-Frank, u da best), having family games and pranks (Dick, I’m coming for you), and relaxing. Nan and Molly chit chatted away, read some poetry, and looked comfortable in their big lawn chairs with blankets and a lantern to keep warm. I spent good time sitting behind Nan listening to her speak. I absolutely love listening to her, which is good, because she has things to say.

Dick, for God’s sake would you run for political office? Make him Liz.

Went back with Maureen and Enda and we all just relaxed and had a good finish to the night. Good cousin bonding, some TV for God’s sake, and a freakin comfy bed. As I lie in Cliddy’s cabin right now, I’m realizing that these beds in other places probably aren’t actually that comfy. My bed in my room is just that uncomfortable.
Went up to Cullahill Mountain, where Nan was born and the historical family residence is. Cullahill is in county Laois (pronounced leash). We found Mic, and he is doing well and sends his love to the family.

I looked around Cullahill Castle for a bit. Nan introduced me to Nancy, her school friend from long ago who lives near the castle. The castle is from the 1400's, so it's a little wrecked. I saw the Sheela na Gig, a modest one.

Going up the mountain while listening to Nan talk about walking to neighboring villages and walking these bare roads on her feet made me feel like I was in the real life Shire more than I think I ever will. My God it’s beautiful from up there. Look at the pictures.

Met Bridie, Bill Tobin’s sister (also Cathy, John, and Rhea), and took a lengthy afternoon tea with her. The Irish do not understand “No I’m fine, thanks” when it comes to food and drink. As a result of constant poking and prodding I probably downed 4 whole buttered scones, and 4 cups of milky, sugary tea, God help me.

Have I mentioned how cute little Will is (Bubbles Obrien, Willem). For that matter, shout out to all of my little cousins and their parents. It’s a good looking generation to be sure, and such spirit.


Speaking of spirit, I was visited, haunted, whatever by one in Barb n Cliddy’s cabin. Now I’ve seen some things, and I’ve been spooked before, but this was a legit presence. I had just gotten to sleep. I woke up to the house cracking, like one will at night from the change in temperature. Still uneasy to listen to. Then I could hear both the front and my room door open in succession just a tad bit. I was laying facing away from it all. This got me spooked a little. I had my adapter plugged into the wall, so I had a bit of light. I could see the air get kinda fuzzy around me, and my backside got kinda cold. And then I felt something sit down on the bed next to me. At this point I tripped out and rolled over. There was a dark shadow covering half the room floatin right in my face. I looked at it, but honestly after I realized there wasn’t an actual person in the room, I was relieved to see it, though spooked. It hung out for awhile, just floating, and I watched it for ten or fifteen minutes until it eventually receded back into the ceiling corner. It didn’t go away but I saw no harm in it. It actually kinda felt familiar. So I rolled back over and started to fall asleep again.

Woke up to the rooster at half six, ran out and opened the hen house so they could escape. I was under the impression that rooster were a one time cock-a-doodle-doo deal. It was like a never ending snooze button. So, as comfortable as the bed and room was, I did not get very good sleep. But the food and company were good and I got that much better at understanding Cliddy and Rooster, and Barb is always awesome.


Went to see Sean Ross Abbey in Roscrea(where dad was born) with Barb and Nan. Jesus Christ- that’s all I have to say publicly. Still processing might be a bit better. Nan is an incredibly strong woman might be the best thing to say.

We also stopped at Kinnity Castle and checked it out before returning to Nan’s so she could talk to my dad. I’d say Nan will either sleep like a baby, or not at all tonight. Finished the day off with tea. Goodbye Easter weekend and family. I love you all! Barb and Maureen thanks again.


For the future, I think I’ll take Nan to see Obama. I just finished my letter to the White House (since I’m here, and Ross Crea is near, and of course MoneyGall is in Offally, maybe we’ll be worth meeting personally) I have a dream of having a beer with Obama. For God’s sake don’t I deserve it? I’ve already made a campaign contribution!

Too lazy to go to Tesco. Think I’ll just pick off the mold from the bread, endure the day old milk, enjoy my wilted lettuce and survive without my Redhot!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You always make me laugh but this time cry too. Its been emotional.
love liz