Hello everyone. Just trying to keep things alive at least once a week.
Preston, Sean, and I (the original three who went to Kerry) were ordered to return to Kenmare by Niamh to hang out with some of her friends and check out Skellig rock and do some fishing. We eagerly carried out our orders!
We grabbed a bus down to Cork so Niamh could pick us up. But the trip was looking grim to start. We had to sprint about a half mile with our bags and barely caught the bus downtown. But because it was mid-day, traffic was awful, and it looked like the bus wouldn’t make it in time. So we hopped off half way and grabbed a cab (costs are mounting) and the cab raced us down there and charged us extra for racing. We barely make it to the bus station on time only to find out Sean didn’t look up the right times. So we were an hour early (hey, better than late). So we decided to relax and enjoy a beautiful Dublin day down by the river. Lots of people out on lunch breaks etc, so the scene was a great balance of calm and liveliness.
Anyway, finally make our way down to Cork, meeting some very interesting, generous, and social minded Nigerians along the way ;)
Got to Cork and Niamh was delayed from work a few hours, so we started hopping from pub to pub. Got some good local pints in us and Niamh picks us up. The back seat is loaded with snacks and more beer!!!! Road trip! Yah, we rocked out hard on the trip to Kenmare, embarrassingly hard, air band and everything. Good time. God bless you for driving Niamh, but you keep it interesting with your driving. One way means one way, there’s no discussion.
Arrived to a delicious meal like always. I’m telling you guys, Lissy Clearig B&B outside Kenmare. Eat, sleep, shower, and look like you’re in heaven. We all ate too much, and were getting a little hung over from a day of partying in cars and buses, so the night hung a little heavy, but Square pint was good as always, two bachelorette (hen) parties. With all the hen parties I’ve seen in Kenmare I’m surprised there are any single women left. Very upsetting thing happened to me. A drunk $^%$&^$#%$%^%^4&**!@#$ Irishman stumbled up, singled me out, and dismissed my presence by calling me Justin Bieber. It was so unexpected and uncalled for and ridiculous that I have spent the whole week being called Biebs.
Woke up to a fine breakfast before going out to Skellig.Going along with the three of us to Skellig were four of Niamh’s friends from around Ireland, and a couple of straight up alien looking dudes from Switzerland, Men In Black style. One was short and crazy eyed. The other was tall, gangly and bald. They were dressed uniquely weird as well. The tall guy didn’t talk and generally looked like a daydreamer, and Arund, the short guy wouldn’t shut up and said the most interesting things in his broken English.
On the boat out to Skellig, Arund went to the bow to sit. I think because I was most interested to meet him and because on the rocky seas holding on to shaky bars on the side of the boat was kind of dangerous, I was the only one who went up to hang out with him. We sang song of the seas (or I tried-he kept getting stuck on the word flowing like a computer glitching out) and we talked of love, life, the sea, and God.
Here’s his story. Arund was visited by the Archangel Michael and continues to be in touch with God through him. He follows his heart. His heart and St. Michael have told him he needs to bury a crystal from his mother’s mountain in Switzerland on the top of Skellig Michael (the part of Skellig the monks lived on). He was proud to whip out his crystal, which was massive, from his pocket. His next mission was to put one on top of Mont St. Michel in France, and then follow up on other spots all the way down to Greece. Apparently all the sites of St. Michael rise unexpectedly out of surrounding land and happen to form a straight line across Europe.
Unfortunately we were not going to be able to land on Skellig that day as the seas were very rough and 5 ships had already had to turn away. Arund assured me half way out that we would be able to. I decided I would convert if we could. He had absolute certainty in his eyes.
Long story short we could not land. But I will give him this. When we went fishing he caught the most Pollock and he did this by calling the fishies with a little instrument that sounded like a hillbilly didgeridoo.
This was my first time out on the actual ocean in a boat. I got pretty sea sick on the way back when the boat would stop and rock, but I felt incredibly bold riding the waves on the way out. I liked it. And looking back at Ireland as we got out to sea gave me some perspective on how crazy everyone was who ever let out to go to America, much less try and find a new route to India or explore the unknown. Cheers ancestors!
The rest of the weekend was just good fun.
Played in a game this Monday. Got thrown at right back and did well, then someone got hurt, so coach put me in center mid again. I really lifted the team. I felt confident, took people on, almost scored and I would say got two half assists. I was having fun and feeling pro. I even took a dive near the box when I got kinda clipped. LOL. We won 3-0, two after I got in the middle. I was wrecked at the end. My calves were cramping.
Going to Tullamore this weekend for family time and sightseeing. All week I've been in debate mode researching/ finding articles for my International Political Economy final. Will the Euro Collapse is the prompt I chose, because its hard, and I want to figure it out. Going pro with this one guys.
No comments:
Post a Comment